Lifetime Achievement Award
The Cleaning Equipment Trade Association (CETA) established the Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995 to recognize those who have achieved excellence in the Pressure Cleaning Industry and to honor those who have made significant contributions.
Nominee must have made a significant contribution to the industry and will continue to distinguish their work in the improvement of our industry.
The prestigious CETA Life Time Achievement Award honors an individual or individuals who have made significant contributions to the pressure cleaning industry. The CETA Board of Directors is pleased to present this year’s honorees with this award for their many achievements and contributions to the Pressure Cleaning Industry.
Please contact Awards Chair, CETA, with suggested nominations and requests for information at email@example.com.
Tim and Karen Layden — Current Recipient
In 1976, Tim and Karen Layden started High PSI, a Chicagoland pressure washer distributor, out of their garage just days after they were married. Having worked with pressure washers previously and seeing the need, they tapped into a new market, as Tim said “competing with the mop and the broom.” They both took a big risk, quitting full-time jobs and putting all their time, energy and assets into High PSI.
Tim called on anyone and everyone he could, while Karen managed the business accounting, and marketing from their home. Within a year, the business outgrew their garage and they rented a rickety old shack in town to house equipment. When equipment was being delivered to their warehouse shack, Karen would meet the trucks and unload the equipment, while Tim was out selling.
Fast forward a few years, and they hired their first employees and were able to rent a complete office and warehouse space. With time came experience and expertise, and High PSI became Chicago’s leading source on all things pressure washing. Through the years, they have built up their team and their space. High PSI now has 14 employees, 7 service and sales trucks, and a 19,000 square foot building.
The Laden’s made many trips to manufacturers’ facilities for trainings and met and befriended many other distributors from around the country. As they went along, they found the support and advice of their new distributor friends not only helpful, but also comforting. Several other pressure washer distributors had mutual experiences and it helped everyone to learn from each other. They all felt it was important to keep communications open together and with the manufacturers, so Tim partnered up with some other distributors and manufacturers to form CETA in an effort to open up communication between distributors, suppliers, and manufacturers.
Both Tim and Karen have stayed very involved with CETA through the years, with Tim serving as President and committee member at various times during CETA’s 30 year history. Today, CETA remains a key link and support tool for both distributors and manufacturers alike, helping the pressure washer industry continue to grow! When we look back at the people like Tim Layden who helped found this incredible organization, we have to wonder what the industry would have been like without them.
Past CETA Lifetime Achievement Award Winners
- 1995 Walter Malsbury Walters Manufacturing
- 1996 Jack Simpson Simpson Company
- 1997 Jim Coleman Mobile Sales & Service
- 1998 Jerry Alexander KO Manufacturing
- 1999 Gene Bowling Alkota Cleaning Systems
- 2000 Dwayne & Gale Whitmire Whitco, Inc.
- 2001 Michael Christopherson General Pump Inc.
- 2002 William Bruggeman Cat Pumps
- 2003 Larry LintonLanda Water Cleaning Systems
- 2004 Charelen Laymon Hotsy Bay Area
- 2005 Cliff and Betty McGinty General Equipment Company
Royce Rasmussen Royce Industries LLC
- 2006 Charlene Yarbrough Advantage Publishing
- 2007 James A. Scott Alkota Cleaning Systems
- 2008 Joe Prosser J Prosser Enterprises
- 2009 Ben Benefield Etowah Chemical Sales and Service Inc
- 2010 Bob Griswold Apache Industrial Cleaning Systems
- 2011 Bob Farley Farley’s Inc.
- 2012 A.J. Speigel Mi-T-M Coproration
- 2014 Roy & Linda Chappell Chappell Supply & Equipment Co.
John Sr & Brenda Purswell Alklean Industries, Inc.
- 2015 Ralph A. Notch AR North America, Inc.
- 2016Charles Tibboles R.W. Beckett
- 2017 Tim & Karen Layden
CETA Distinguished Service Award 2017
GARY WEIDNER – RECIPIENT
Gary was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and like many other people, he has led several different lives. Originally trained as an engineer (BSEE, MSEE), he worked as a research engineer in NJ for a dozen years. Then he left the corporate engineering world and became a residential and commercial painting contractor for a decade.
After that he started all over as a pressure washer mechanic for Chem-Plus in NJ. That’s where pressure washers got into his blood. After a few years, Gary and his wife Linda decided to move back to Wisconsin, where he went to work as a mechanic for Wisconsin Steam Cleaner in Milwaukee.
While working those years as a pressure washer mechanic, Gary noticed that although various manufacturers provided excellent training for service people, there seemed to be a lack of across-the-board training material not tied to any particular manufacturer. Having skills in technical communication, he began writing service training articles for Cleaner Times magazine, and it took five years to publish the series of monthly articles. Then he graduated to Technical Editor at Cleaner Times.
Next, he departed our industry for a few years to work as Senior Editor–Electrical at Plant Engineering magazine in Chicago. The lure of our industry proved irresistible though, and so he next went to work for Mi-T-M in Dubuque, IA as a product safety certification engineer. That work proved quite interesting, and Gary became a product safety certification consultant working from home, first in Dubuque, IA and now in Wausau, WI
Past Distinguished Service Award Winners
- 1986 B. H “Bud” Benson L & A Products
- 1987 William Lindsay L & A Products
- 1988 Robert Borden
- 1989 John L. Roy
- 1990 Warren Jarvis
- 1991 Patrick Wingen AaLadin Cleaning Systems
- 1992 Charlene Laymon Always Under Pressure
- 1993 Ben Benefield Etowah Chemicals Sales & Service
- 1994 Larry Linton Landa Inc
- 1995 Dave Wyett Kleen Quip
- 1996 Mark Adams Hydro-Blast Inc
- 1997 ORIX Credit Alliance Inc.
- 1998 Tom Martin Elite Manufacturing Corp.
- 2000 Roy Chappell Chappell Supply & Equipment
- 2002 Charlene Yarbrough Advantage Publishing
- 2003 Robert Griswold Apache Industrial Cleaning Equipment
- 2005 Paul Lombard Service One LC
- 2006 Karl Loeffelholz Mi-T-M Corporation
- 2007 R. Calvin Rasmussen Royce Industries, L.C.
- 2017 Gary Weidner
Community Service Award
Community Service Award History
- 1994 RGF Environmental Systems Inc West Palm Beach, FL
- 1995 Royce Industries LC Salt Lake City, UT
Royce & Julie Rasmussen
- 1996 Landa, Inc. Portland, OR
- 1997 Steam Cleaners, Inc. Fresno, CA
- 1998 Mi-T-M Corporation Peosta, IA
- 1999 Elite Manufacturing Corp. Decatur, AR
- 2000 Pressure Systems Industries Phoenix, AZ
- 2001 Beaver of Wisconsin Plover, WI
- 2002 Bozeman Distributors Baton Rouge, LA
- 2003 Not awarded
- 2004 A.J. Spiegel, Mi-T-M Corporation Peosta, IA
- 2005 Sioux Corporation Beresford, SD
- 2006 Alfred Karcher GmbH Company Germany
- 2007 Pat Wingen, Aaladin Cleaning Systems, Inc. Elk Point, SD
- 2016 Rodney Adkins – CTS Cleaning Systems, Inc. Fayetteville, NC